ICLR 2023 Visa and Travel Information
- Your current passport must have a validity of at least six months on the day of entry into Rwanda
- All citizens can secure visa upon arrival in Kigali
- When asked, reference that you are in town for ICLR 2023
- Make sure to know the name of the hotel you will be lodging in
- Visa costs US $50 - payment in cash (USD, Euro or British Pounds only) or major international credit cards. No fee is required if you are from some of the countries (including the African Union, Commonwealth and Francophonie) mentioned Here.
Ethiopian Airlines is ICLR's official airline partner offering a 15% discount to all attendees of the ICLR 2023 Conference.
Discount code: ICLR23
Travel restriction: April 20 – May 15, 2023
If anyone is purchasing through a travel agent, the discount will not apply. It only applies for online through the airline website or through actual Ethiopian airline ticketing office.
The Rwandan franc (RWF) is the official currency, though U.S. dollars may also be used. Most vendors and banks will only accept U.S. bills printed after 2009, and exchange bureaus and hotels may refuse bills smaller than $100. Most hotels accept credit cards; but it is recommended to confirm with your hotel before arrival. In Kigali, several businesses, including restaurants and boutiques, accept credit cards. Expect to handle other expenses in cash. Most shops will not accept or exchange U.S. dollars printed before 2009. ATMs are abundant in Kigali, and usually accept most ATM cards. Credit card cash withdrawals are available only through a few banks in Kigali.
Shared buses and minibuses are the most common form of public transportation.
- Use licensed public bus and auto taxi companies
- Confirm the fare with the driver before departing
- Be cautious when using motorbike taxis, as they are generally unsafe
- Don’t use motorbike taxis at night
Flights/Transit through Uganda:
Travelers may require a transit visa to pass through Uganda.
Exemptions to requiring an Uganda transit visa:
- Passengers who remain in the international transit area of Entebbe International Airport for a maximum of 24 hours and do not leave the airport premises.
- Passengers who hold onward tickets and travel documents required for their next destination, and they do not leave the transit area of the airport.
- Passengers who are citizens of Kenya, Rwanda, Tanzania, and Uganda and are traveling within the East African Community (EAC) countries.
List of countries that are exempted for requiring transit or entry visas:
- Sierra Leone
- Solomon Islands, The Grenadines
- St. Vincent-Tonga
- Trinidad and Tobago